Tuesday, May 18, 2010

You vs. You

So after work yesterday (Monday) I needed to hit the road for a nice run....I decided might as well make it 8k. while I was passing my normal 5K route I was just thinking about running as a sport, and pretty much figured out why, out of everything I could have done this summer to get into shape, I picked running.

It was pretty simple now that I think about it...I've always played team sports growing up mainly football...and I'm sure many can relate, that team sports are about having support from your teammates, and making sure you do your part to contribute etc...

Now the difference with running, is that the only person out there is you. Even more so, the only person you're competing against is....yourself, you don't feel like running? go watch TV, raining out? play some x-box, too hot? go drink some beer...bottom line is the only thing that stops you from doing it is you.

And that's it...I wanted to challenge myself, and the only one who can be accountable for failing, quiting, complaining or not reaching my goals is me.

Now you might think its an easy thing to do, just run all the time, but I find it to be a lot more of a mental workout then a physical one...not to say that its not physically tough, but think about this...

when your working on an assignment, cutting the grass, or scratching your ass, and you need a break....no problem, you can take 5 and get back to it later...but with running the whole point is to push yourself to new limits. so when your legs start to burn, or you feel pain you just gotta push through it.

lets be honest now, I am not a runner at all, the one thing that I have on my side is being tough mentally. I think I've learned this from playing football, but I've played with broken bones, sprained, ankles, wrists etc...might not have been the best choice in hindsight, but its part of the sport.

From that I know what the body is capable of doing...yeah sometimes you can over do it, but in the end this "sport" definitely has the ability to separate the men from the boys (not to be sexist or anything)


Wanna challenge?

Go run

No comments:

Post a Comment